Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Weekend Trip Perhaps?

Weekend Trip Perhaps? 3 years 8 months ago #38421

Hi everybody. I suggest that it is high time we had a trip on a Saturday or Sunday or even a full weekender especially with lockdown restrictions being eased in England and Wales but for how long? We need to make the most of it in case restrictions get re-imposed and not only that being as not all of us are retired, on-shore or furloughed. I have nothing planned for the weekends of Sat 8th and Sun 9th of August and Sat 15th and Sun 16th August (going up to Nenthead on the 23rd).
My Suggestions are either North Wales (lead and slate mines), the Yorkshire Dales (Caves and a few mines) or the Peak District.
I have a few suggestions for mines in North Wales: Mines in Snowdonia (info cards below) of have a look at the slate mines around Cambrian, near Chirk on the Anglo-Welsh border.
As for the Yorkshire Dales there are, of course the caves plus mines near Pateley Bridge and in Swaledale. There is camping at Ribblehead and the campsite at Helwith Bridge Inn along with the pub itself are fully open with the option to stay in vehicles (I was there last Saturday).
For the Peak District a few suggestions please if anybody is interested.
I haven't heard of a date for the Andy Farrow memorial trip yet so I am keeping my options open so dates don't clash.
We really need to make hay while the sun shines as seeing what's happening on mainland Europe and also here with the infection rates it may only be a matter of time before Boris Johnson and First Minister Mark Drakeford slam on the brakes and we have to resort to meeting over Zoom again.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weekend Trip Perhaps? 3 years 8 months ago #38422

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
Nice idea Greg.

Some info on a couple of your cards ...

The slate mine between Crafnant and Geirionydd is a number of entrances stacked up the hillside. Most of the trip is walking up to it and the exploration won't take very long (some nice pretties in there).

The "lead mine" running away from Geirionydd is a series of adits (possibly 8?) none of which are very long but some of which are quite pretty. If the stream water level is low it's great fun to combine "canyon walking" (easy version) with wandering in the numerous mines. We did it once and had a great time splashing around int he water too.

.... Of course, there is a video lol

;)

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard

Weekend Trip Perhaps? 3 years 8 months ago #38432

The mines around Llyn Geirionydd are worth a look. There is a good long walk into Pandora from behind the car park, plenty to see even if you don't do the through trip from the top. Having a mooch around the Geirionydd mines would make a good day out. I will do a bit more research into the mines around there so we can get the most out of a day trip.

I therefore am suggesting a day trip out there either next weekend (8-9) or the one after (15-16). Any preferences for what weekend and whether you want to do Saturday or Sunday?

Please note that given the current coronavirus situation it seems more of a case of when rather than if a new nationwide lock-down will be imposed and when that happens we can forget about any more underground activity until 2021 and only then if we get a vaccine we will be out of this purgatory. Therefore we most make the most of the opportunity we have now.

Weekend Trip Perhaps? 3 years 8 months ago #38433

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 388
got to admire your cat herding instincts Greg.
fraid I still can't do weekends at the moment though.
Mae bradwyr ymhobman

Weekend Trip Perhaps? 3 years 8 months ago #38436

Now got plans for the weekend of 15-16 August. Anybody up for this weekend? Don't all rush at once!

Weekend Trip Perhaps? 3 years 8 months ago #38437

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
I might ....

I realise that is not very helpful .....

I will try to be more helpful ...

I am definitely playing golf on either Saturday or Sunday - I don't know which because of the potential weather and also my golfing partner has not stated his ability. I "should" be free on the other of day of the weekend but there are other factors which I may (or may not) need to address between now and then. That is my position exactly ....

I realise that is not very helpful ....

:S

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The following user(s) said Thank You: gingerlycolors

Weekend Trip Perhaps? 3 years 8 months ago #38444

I take it nobody's interested in a weekend trip for the time being. I will be along next Thursday (the 13th) even if I have to break curfew!
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds