Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Moel Hebog Mine

Moel Hebog Mine 13 years 2 weeks ago #883

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1441

Directions
It’s miles from anywhere.

It is marked on the O/S map near Beddgelert and is located between the pass of Moel Hebog and Moel Yr Ogof. Approaching from the Beddgelert side, there are forestry tracks that will take you part of the way up but there is still a very steep and ardous ascent along a public footpath.

Access
Unknown. Ungated.

Suggested Equipment
None

Length
Unknown, currently explored to around 200 metres and is not considered to be much deeper.

Flood risk
Unknown but there is only a trickle of water running except for a collapse deep in the mine where water is running in and the adit beyond the collapse is at least waist depth before any flood risk.

Mine Attributes
Copper

Description
A number of trial adits are scattered around whlist there are two additional mines/surface rifts where the ore has been extracted along faults.

The main adit is more obvious and is immediately waterlogged to shin depth but quickly rises out of the water.

This mine is essentially a single adit with a small chamber in the middle although there is also a fork around 175 metres in. The right fork goes blind to the end of a drive after only a few more metres whilst the left fork brings you to a collapse with water cascading in. The collapse is passable but the adit beyond is at least waist depth in water.

The mine is nicely decorated with young copper sulphate formations on the walls.

Unexplored Passages
The flooded adit beyond the collapse is unexplored.

Digs
None known

Links
www.geograph.org.uk/photo/535788

www.mine-explorer.co.uk/view_picture.asp?id=16989
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Moel Hebog Mine 13 years 2 weeks ago #884

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1441

Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds