Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mendips weekend 13-15 May 2022

Mendips weekend 13-15 May 2022 1 year 11 months ago #41815

• Stones
  • Thank you received: 575
Friday 13th May
Jon,the Captain and i headed down to meet Rich at Kingsdown quarry, this didn't happen though as we randomly met in some service station toilets on the M5. We finally get to Kingsdown quarry to meet up with Les w to have a wonder around this Stone quarry. After a few hours exploring and chatting we headed out, as we just get out, the caving gods must of sent a signal to the landlord of the Swan inn opposite to open up for some post underground drinks. Couple of beers later for the none drivers and it was back on the road to head down to the Wessex club to meet the rest of the club members who were on this trip.

Saturday 14th May
A few members wake up with a groggy head after a few to many in The Hunters Inn the night before. We headed for breakfast at Priddy good farm shop for a full English to sort the hangover out before a day of caving.
The days caving involved doing the classic short round in Swildons hole. This trip involved a bit of everything, streamways, electron ladder down a waterfall, ducks, a sump and a really tight squeeze that i had to take my caving suit off to fit through. What a trip and highly recommend doing it if you're down that way. Only one thing to do after a trip like that and that's to drink beer and have some good food in the Queen Victoria in Priddy.

Sunday 15th May
Again waking up with a groggy head from the night before we headed for breakfast. The trip for the day was a short through trip, Fairy cave to Hilliers cave in Fairy cave quarry. The trip through Fairy cave involved 3 squeezes and a duck. The squeezes were all relatively straightforward and i didn't have to strip down to fit through. Though I did get a little lost from the group and ended up in a fourth squeeze into a dig which was a little tighter than the other three, i managed to get through though and turn around and head back through to join back up with the rest of the group. Into Hilliers cave we headed to the Redroom through a squeeze to one of the most prettiest passages that i have seen. After the Redroom we made our way to the exit passing many more beautiful formations, what a cave Hilliers is for formations. And that was the end of a fantastic weekend away in the Mendips.
A massive Thank you to the Wessex caving club for having us over for the weekend, also a huge thank you to Les W, Chris W and Frank T for leading us around these trips.

Now time to go through a couple of hours of film footage for photos and a couple of film edits
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LesW, mike leahy, Richard

Mendips weekend 13-15 May 2022 1 year 11 months ago #41816

• Stones
  • Thank you received: 575
Friday photos
20220513_150434.jpg
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Stones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LesW, mike leahy, ILT

Mendips weekend 13-15 May 2022 1 year 11 months ago #41817

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 666
Great trip report gaz.thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stones
Time to create page: 0.059 seconds