Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Trip Report : Belgrave 15th Feb 2018

Trip Report : Belgrave 15th Feb 2018 6 years 2 months ago #32933

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1441
Trip Report

Belgrave Mine 15th Feb 2018

A small contingent of six hard core and intrepid explorers arrived for an evening of adventure and danger at the designated layby in Llanferres. This was not a dogging spot but just a simple transitory place of meeting and adjournment.

We mustered at the mine car park place around 5 minutes later and prepared to engage the underworld. Most of us managed standard caving gear but one member chose to wear moon boots while another took to a wetsuit for the dry trip. Indeed, a plethora of camera equipment made it in too, encased in various military equipment. Nothing odd about that.

Excited and fully loaded, we made for the entrance. Sadly, most of us missed it and, instead, breached the hill. The descent back down was embarrassing and mostly we didn’t speak about it.

Upon entry into the hole (the mine, it’s not a euphemism) we trundled around 10 yards before deciding a rest was in order. We took to chatting about shite and eventually decided to move on after Greg warned us of a hole to the left of the passage (again, not a euphemism).

We made it a good way before the camera flashed. In fact we got to the pristine marble without much incident. It was only after that things became a little excitable.

The descent down to the level just below the small marble example proved tricky in the extreme for one of the adventurers who murmured something like “no” (possibly a great many times). It was quite clear that no one either heard or understood as he was coaxed down in any event. Notwithstanding his protestations that he would endure no more torment, once down his choices were limited; return back up the rift of certain death or suffer the round trip of even more certain doom. He chose certain death (with several other party members) but made it back to the camera equipment without physical injury. I cannot speak for the state of anyone’s underwear.

Two persons chose a different route back and vanished in the labyrinth of danger above only to descend behind us. Some thought they heard the sound of raspberries but, I for one, do not think them so puerile.

We would then have left the mine if it were not for our esteemed stalwart, Shan, requesting a “peep” into the hidden mysteries and dangers of the workings above. I am certain that Doug was disappointed the pub was now more distant. The party made its way for an ascent but Greg, having already suffered from an attack of “fuck that shit” decided to stay. Of course, it is a complete “no-no” for anyone to be left alone and I heroically stayed with him to ensure the mine goblins remained distant. During this time I was treated to tales of sausage as well as given a brief practical lesson in long exposure photography including a tripoded camera on a timer and “light painting” onto walls. I was amazed at the technique.

The ascent party encountered very seriously difficult climbing conditions which they bravely and superbly negotiated. The upper levels were reached, the wooden arch re-discovered and the inherent shitted up pathway re-trodden. Boulders and a new collapse barred the pathway to the inside of the backfilled entrance and this forced the party to return.

Confusion reigned during the descent whilst Mike was assisting Shan in her endeavours. I had to stand away from the base of the climb (standard protocol) but my ears did not deceive me. Mike instructed Shan to lower herself down (slowly) onto a nob but she was left to her own devices to get herself off. (I dunno if that was a euphemism or not.) It is evident (I think) to me that she managed it because I heard (what I believe to be) elated screams (they could have been different screams, I just don’t know). What I do know is that they both appeared with smiles on their faces so I knew it had gone well.

We then proceeded to evacuate ourselves from the mine, our mission being accomplished.

Arriving back at the vehicles, I got changed the fastest and took a pee around the side of my car where I am certain no one saw me. Mike was almost last and also took a pee where he thought no one could see him. However, he was stood right in front of the darkened van that contained a “getting changed” Greg. I do not know who I feel more sorry for.

We then ventured to the pub where we got drunk. Well, I did anyway.

Report ends.

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug, mike leahy, Frank, Richard, WelshSossy, ILT

Trip Report : Belgrave 15th Feb 2018 6 years 2 months ago #32937

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
  • Thank you received: 329
Haha, brilliant report Ian. Very believable until the last sentence
United Cavers Exploration Team

Trip Report : Belgrave 15th Feb 2018 6 years 2 months ago #32956

• shananna
  • Thank you received: 90
Ian wrote:

Report ends.

Ian

You forgot the part about Greg sitting on Dougs head whilst claiming that the wet suit gave more grip!

Other parts of your report could be considered slanderous and offensive to females (or just me!) but under those circumstances I wouldn't be able to call you a shit stirring twat - you shit stirring twat!!!

Nice report, thank you :kiss:

Trip Report : Belgrave 15th Feb 2018 6 years 2 months ago #32957

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1441
It happened exactly as I reported ...... :whistle:

shananna wrote:
you shit stirring twat!!!

Your point being .... ?

;)

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Ian.

Trip Report : Belgrave 15th Feb 2018 6 years 2 months ago #32965

• Danswift
  • Thank you received: 4
Ian wrote:
Trip Report

Belgrave Mine 15th Feb 2018

Excited and fully loaded, we made for the entrance. Sadly, most of us missed it and, instead, breached the hill. The descent back down was embarrassing and mostly we didn’t speak about it.

Ian

Epic report, really cheered up my morning coffee!

Trip Report : Belgrave 15th Feb 2018 6 years 2 months ago #32968

• Frank
  • Thank you received: 21
Made me chuckle!
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds