Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Milwr Tunnel - Work Advisory Notice

The Milwr Tunnel - Work Advisory Notice 2 years 8 months ago #39882

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
We have received notification that part of the Milwr tunnel is being re-designated as a "working mine" for a short period to allow for some inspection work to be carried out.

Below is a copy of the email and also a plan of the "out of bounds" part of the mine for the duration.

If you have any questions, please either email me (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. ) or simply post to this thread.

Thanks,

Ian Adams
(Club Secretary)

I’m writing to notify you of a proposed underground inspection programmed to be undertaken in the Milwr Tunnel system between 23rd August and 3rd September 2021.

The inspection will be undertaken between upstream of Caeau Shaft, near Pentre Halkyn and the tunnel portal at Bagillt using Caeau Shaft and the portal for access. During the inspection, a forced ventilation fan will be installed at the portal, which will result in changes to airflows in the mine and potentially increase concentrations of radon and other gases in sections of the mine that may be accessed by cavers and mine explorers.

For the duration of the inspection, the tunnel from upstream of Caeau Shaft to the Bagillt portal, together with Caeau Shaft and Herward Shaft will be designated as a ‘working mine’ in accordance with the Mines Regulations 2014 and as shown on the attached plan. Wardell Armstrong are the appointed Mine Operator for this inspection. As such, we would re-iterate that there should be no access by unauthorised persons to the mine system between Pen y Bryn Shaft and the portal.

This information is provided to inform your own risk assessments and you should ensure that your members are informed of the above in order to alleviate risks, potentially arising from the works, to those persons entering the mine system.

We will advise you of any significant changes to the works programme should they occur, however, if you have any queries regarding the above please do not hesitate to contact the appointed Mine Manager, Martin Downing at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I would be very grateful if you could confirm receipt of this email.

Regards

Martin Downing
Wardell Armostrong LLP

File Attachment:

File Name: GM11693-003RevAExtentofMinetobeOpenedDuring2021Inspection.pdf
File Size: 1,367 KB
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy, Sweetie, ILT, Stones

The Milwr Tunnel - Work Advisory Notice 2 years 8 months ago #39891

What about asking for a trip down caeau shaft ? Wouldn’t hurt tk at least ask ?
There’s more planes in the sea than there are submarines in the sky

The Milwr Tunnel - Work Advisory Notice 2 years 8 months ago #39892

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
The last time this operation was undertaken, we were asked by the mine manager (the same man I think), in person, at the site, to specifically stay away.

Furthermore, he handed to us a "paddle" that we didn't lose when we didn't take a trip through there not a few days before. He also a saw a video that no one made and wasn't published anywhere.

You can ask but I wouldn't be filled with hope ....

:blink:
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard

The Milwr Tunnel - Work Advisory Notice 2 years 8 months ago #39893

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 665
Stevekennedy wrote:
What about asking for a trip down caeau shaft ? Wouldn’t hurt tk at least ask ?

NO

The Milwr Tunnel - Work Advisory Notice 2 years 8 months ago #39917

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
In fairness the letter is very positive to my eyes at least. It confirms that during the period when its not a working mine that they acknoledge that we do have access....which we know we do, but its nice that they kinda allude to that too :-)

fair game if you ask me.
-
Tim Watts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug, Sweetie, KizzTW
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds