Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Craig y Ffynnon Access

Craig y Ffynnon Access 1 year 9 months ago #42196

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
Cambrian Caving Council has decided to change the padlock at Ogof Craig a Ffynnon. There are 30+ official keys in circulation mainly held by clubs and going back maybe 20 years.

The new lock will be the same key as fits Ogof Cnwc (the Daren Cilau No.2 entrance) itself in use for 10+ years and should be installed sometime on Monday 18th July. There are also 30+ keys in circulation for Ogof Cnwc. So on 18th July you would need to take both old and new, and thereafter just the new one. Clubs or cavers wanting keys should contact Malcolm Reid (the former MLCMAC access officer) or get one through Chelsea Speleological Society (Adrian Fawcett or me). Groups staying at Whitewalls can be provided with a set of local cave keys for the duration of their stay by prior arrangement.

An update on MLCMAC.
The former cave management committee was effectively left in limbo when NRW withdrew from funding, running and chairing it. The group has now been adopted by Cambrian Caving Council where the plan is to let it run as a subcommittee comprising its previous members (but not NRW staff) and welcomes anyone else expressing an interest in helping look after the caves on its patch. NRW's cave management agreement with the landowners (Beaufort Estate) essentially ended when NRW defaulted. The established position of the estate, as stated to me in various meetings over the years, is that they approve of responsible bona fide caving activities on their land and cavers themselves must assess what 'responsible' implies and act accordingly. We hope to be able to re-affirm this simple and pragmatic position in a meeting with the estate later in the summer and reach a clear understanding with them that CCC will take responsibility where NRW left off.

Stuart France
Conservation and Access Officer
Cambrian Caving Council
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy, Stevekennedy, Stones, KizzTW
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds